Among the families of silicone rubber variations, there are three main forms of silicone rubber, depending on the processing method: liquid, room temperature vulcanized, and high temperature vulcanized.
Types of Silicone Rubber
Built on a base of silicon and oxygen (as opposed to plastic’s base of carbon and hydrogen, which is less stable), groups of organic molecules (including methyl) lend silicone rubber its flexibility. Silicone rubber has several variants with traits that differ depending on the application for which it’s used.
● Methyl groups go under the name MQ. These are the basic silicone rubbers that were first developed.
●Methyl vinyl groups, which feature good compression traits, are known as VMQ. These are the most commonly used types of silicone rubber since the vinyl helps with vulcanization.
● Methyl phenyl (MPQ) and methyl phenyl vinyl (PVMQ) groups are used to increase the rubber’s capabilities in low temperatures.
● Flouro, vinyl and
methyl (FVMQ) groups are more chemically resistant to oil, fuel, and solvent.
● Liquid silicone rubber has the smallest molecular chains out of the three types, making its polymers a low molecular weight. It can be extruded or injection molded with specialized machinery. This type of silicone rubber is more weather resistant and transparent.
● RTV (room temperature vulcanized) silicone rubber can be from one or a mixture of two components, and hardens at room temperature to soft or medium hardness. It’s generally used for potting, sealant, and encapsulations. Silicone rubber molds are also made from RTV silicone rubber.
● Solid or HTV (high temperature vulcanized) silicone rubber has long-chained polymers with the heaviest molecular weights. This type usually comes in the unprocessed form and must be vulcanized at the same temperature as more traditional types of rubber.
Silicone rubber has been considered safe in the United States for applications in consumer cookware and medical products since the FDA approved it in 1979. It is also approved in Canada.
In this Silicone Rubber industry, SSIC provides consulting services including but not limited to the followings:
● Equipment upgrades for manufacture;
● Manufacturing process outsourcing;
● Assistance in Chinese Silicone Rubber product providers to expand their market into North America;
● Assistance in Chinese Silicone Rubber product distributors to attract overseas customers; and
● Assistance in US/ Canadian Silicone Rubber companies expand their markets into China.